Why use the new HockeySDK
- User Metrics: Understand user behavior to improve your app and track usage: daily active users, monthly active users, new users, and sessions.
- Live Crash Reports: Get crash reports from your .NET Native app. For now, HockeyApp only supports unsymbolicated crash reports, but our goal is to provide fully symbolicated crash reports soon.
How to get started
- Go to HockeyApp and register or sign in to get started.
- In the dashboard, manually create a new app for the Windows platform; fill in the form with the namespace of the app you’re planning to integrate the HockeySDK with.
How to integrate the SDK in your UWP app
If your app has been previously integrated with other HockeySDKs, make sure to uninstall them. Then, follow the three easy steps below:
Add HockeySDK.UWP nuget package: In Visual Studio 2015, click Tools > Nuget Package Manager > Manage Nuget Packages for Solution. Navigate to Browse, search for “HockeySDK.UWP,” and click Install. Alternatively use the Package Manager Console by using the command:
PM> Install-Package HockeySDK.UWP
In the App.xaml.cs > App class constructor, add the following line using the App ID from the overview page of your app on the HockeyApp web app:
Internet(Client)capability is enabled in the package manifest
Everything is now set up and ready to use.
How to use the SDK
To distribute your build, create the app package and upload to HockeyApp. Invite testers to try out your app or distribute the download link. To install the app on Test devices, side-load these apps. Refer to this document for details on this step.
User Metrics come out of the box with the new HockeySDK for UWP. To see User Metrics on HockeyApp, make sure your app has at least one released version. You can either create a version manually from the web app, or a new version will be created when a build is uploaded or when a crash occurs in your app (provided you integrated the HockeySDK).
All crash reports are automatically being sent to HockeyApp from your app. Go to the web portal and see the live crashes for your app versions. Find more info on how to get the information about unhandled exceptions that crashed your app in the HockeyApp Knowledge Base.
You may find the following links helpful:
- Learn how to setup automated builds for your UWP app with VSTS
- All knowledge base documents on HockeySDK integration with Windows/UWP